Friday, December 16

A little bit of Sweden for Christmas

"Sweden is the home of my ancestors, and I have reserved a special place [for it] in my heart."
-Carl D. Anderson


I have never been to Sweden, but I will someday. I am quite determined. I am only three generations removed from my Swedish immigrant ancestors. As I'm sure many people out there do, we have saved some amazing documentation of their transition to America: their name change from Soderbach to Soderbeck to Beck, their move from Sweden to Norway and then back again, their entrepreneurial endeavors in the small Michigan town they immigrated to. Ever since I was little and started hearing about this part of my heritage I have been fascinated by Swedish culture (don't even get me started on Ikea). 

Christmastime especially brings out my love of all things Swedish.  From the little woolen Tomtes that I collect, to the heirloom Swedish tablecloths that I pull out for special holiday dinners. There's a bit of seasonal comfort in pulling out things I've collected for myself that have a place in my family's history. 

Here are some of my favorite Swedish-y things that I've come across lately. This awesome tray is designed by Asta Barrington, and is available at gretelhome.com. The mug below is also available at gretelhome.com, and I want one real bad. And one last thing for Christmas, is this awesome Nordic inspired Santa stamp, found at Dwell Magazine's online shop. I can only imagine the hours of fun me and my kids would have with that.



No comments:

Post a Comment