Wednesday, May 16

Serenity Now!!

I'm not sure why it's taken me so long to realize just how important it is for me to take a little bit of time each day for myself. That can be really difficult sometimes, as a single mother of two and full-time student, etc...but about six months ago I began a swimming class that really helped me to see the not only physical, but also emotional benefits of making sure that I work my body several times a week, if not every day. There's something almost inexplicable about pounding the water for an hour and a half, working your hardest even if you're not the fastest in the class, breathing out long and slow into the water as the lane markers go by one by one beneath you...I've left so much stress in that water. I've arrived at class almost in tears before, with life weighing heavy on me, only to leave feeling completely revived and restored. Endorphins are a part of this, I'm sure. But also, it's that time that I've spent stepping away from "life" to focus on becoming and eventually staying fit and healthy that is so rewarding. It's just me and the water, dammit. And as I cut through it, stroke following stroke, the tensions of my day just melt off into the water. Even if I'm not exactly where I'd like to be physically just quite yet, spending time in the water challenging myself to go just a little bit faster this next time...it's ridiculously rewarding. More than any of that though, it's the things that I've left at the bottom of the pool that keeps me going back. To be able to walk away from practice with a tired body, but a clear mind is a beautiful thing at the end of a long, hard day. And on that note, I think it's time for this tired body to get some sleep...

1 comment: